Monday 10 May 2010

Big hat, big attitude and the smallest finish ever.

Now I cannot pretend that the smallest finish ever is an original idea, it's not. Whilst blog hopping the other day I came across a really cute needle minder on Daffycat's blog. A few of her posts later I found the design came from the March/April 2010 edition of Just Cross Stitch. Mmm... my Mum subscribes to that. I also guessed that she would probably have some of those buttons which you cover yourself, about an inch in diameter. I was right. So armed with the chart, a small piece of 28 count fabric and the necessary floss, this morning, on the way to work in the car, I made a start. By the way I was a passenger just in case that last bit didn't quite read right. Anyway, by the time I arrived in school the body was done and on the way home I finished the hat. I have now proved to myself that I can stitch one over one in the car!

Now I thought it would be a good idea to take the shank out of the coverable button in order to make a needle minder, The Other Half was able to provide me with a very powerful magnet. So like a good scientist I tested my idea first. The metal that the button is made out of is not magnetic. So inside the button I have had to put a small washer which is magnetic. OK, so I've gone on for long enough, this is what my needle minder looks like.


This is the ladybird from a design called 'In your Easter Bonnet' by Brooke Nolan, published in the latest edition of Just Cross Stitch. I think she has attitude!

Well election night came and went, although we are still waiting to see who will form the next government. I managed to stay up until 12.40 but did get up at 4.55 for twenty minutes to see what was going on. This is what Tea with Honey looks like.


All I have left to do is the lace in the middle of the tablecloth, the beading, a little bit of green and the backstitch edging. I am almost there but, and you may call me mad, I'm putting it away until next month and I'm going to start something new!

Happy stitching!

8 comments:

Daffycat said...

Awesome job, Jen! I can't believe you stitched that in the car ~ OMG! I had enough trouble with her sitting still!!!

grannyanne said...

I don't know how you stitch in the car. I couldn't do it. How about having a go at the hat wearing butterfly who is also on the sampler? Love the teatable. Looking forward to seeing your something new.

Lesleyanne said...

A lovely finish. I couldn't stitch in the car although I have tried on a coach trip.

Lisa said...

The LadyBird is so cute! 1x1 stitching in the car...that is a talent that is hard to come by! I love the colors. Well done!
Take care.

Bekca said...

I love your needle minder, it's such a cute little design! I don't think I have ever stitched on the move, I prefer my comfy chair :)

http://ingridsknitting.blogspot.be/ said...

ooohhhh, what a super fantastic magnet needle and there to work in the car ... unbelievable, I must try it! Great Job!

Justflo said...

Your needle keep is lovely. If I was stitching 1x1 in a car it'd have to be on about 8 count. I wouldn't stand a chance at anything more!!!
(Can't stitch in the car anyway. Without visit from a large family of frogs.)
Your Tea with Honey is coming along well- don't know how you can put it away for a month.

Happy stitching to you.

Carolyn NC said...

Ooh - love them both!